Lab Assoc III - Laboratory (Part Time/PRN)
Company: Wyoming Medical Center
Posted on: February 4, 2019
The Lab Associate III understands and adheres to the standards and practices of quality patient care. He/she is committed to providing accurate and timely results to our customers. She/he is highly motivated and professional in responding to all laboratory situations. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The employee shall comply with all safety and health standards, and all rules, regulations, and orders which are applicable to the individual's own position, actions, and conduct.
- Utilizes Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and processes: pulls lists and logs and understands use; receives specimens; orders, reschedules and adds tests; credits appropriately; appends information; tracks data; prints and distributes reports; appropriately uses English text codes; understands specimen label information; looks up orders and results; manages result tests; understands use of inquiry functions.
- Performs venipuncture: prepares patient and site; selects tube; understands and applies age-specific guidelines; performs venipuncture with vacutainer, syringe, and butterfly needle; performs capillary puncture; collects blood cultures; collects and receives transfusion service specimens; assists with specimen collection from IV starts, central or arterial lines, Groshong lines, PICC lines, or dialysis lines; performs therapeutic phlebotomies; performs bleeding times; performs point-of-care testing and understands use of associated equipment; labels specimens completely and accurately; delivers specimens to appropriate laboratory departments.
- Participates in laboratory quality improvement actives as requested or needed.
- Understands and follows all laboratory regulatory standards. Maintains regulatory standards for quality management, including The Joint Commission, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and others.
- Participates in inspections by regulatory agencies as requested.
- Identifies trends and initiates or facilitates problem solving efforts.
- Practices proper patient identification.
- Examines specimens for condition, acceptability, identification and integrity, and documents appropriately.
- Understands and utilizes pathologist consultation guidelines.
- Understands and follows quality control policies, processes and procedures.
- Understands and follows appropriate pre-analytical, testing, and post-analytical handling of patient specimens and patient data.
- Performs instrument checks, calibration and maintenance, including documentation, troubleshooting and corrective action.
- Demonstrates ability to test specimens on designated equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to perform area specific patient testing.
- Demonstrates ability to coordinate simultaneous procedures with complete accuracy.
- Prepares reagents appropriately.
- Understands and utilizes checks for validity and accuracy of test results and for quality control.
- Sets up test methods and writes procedures as required.
- Understands and uses appropriate isolation procedures.
- As assigned and in consultation with supervisor: Coordinates orientation of new staff and students; develops and maintains phlebotomy-specific policies and procedures; coordinates phlebotomy duties; and coordinates testing of new phlebotomy safety devices.
- Mentors new staff and students as directed.
- Verifies that correct specimen and labeling requirements are met for test orders.
- Correctly and accurately registers and labels specimen tubes in compliance with policies and procedures. Answers pneumatic tube system in a timely fashion.
- Centrifuges and aliquots specimens according to department policy.
- Performs pre-analytical processing, including microbiology.
- Appropriately sorts, stores, and delivers laboratory specimens be department and specimen requirements.
- Works with staff and clients to resolve specimen problems.
- Handles outside requisitions in terms of registering, ordering, crediting, etc.
- Receives specimens coming into the lab from internal and external sources.
- Monitors collections of specimens in a timely and systematic way.
- Reviews outstanding lab orders and follows up to ensure completion or otherwise resolve them.
- Uses strong customer service and teamwork skills to support productive workflow.
- Answers telephones, screens, calls, and provides caller assistance as needed. Demonstrates excellent phone etiquette skills.
- Copes effectively with multiple tasks and varied levels of workload independently and in team environment.
- Attends and participates in classes, committees, and other continuing education and professional development opportunities as appropriate to maintain and enhance job knowledge and skills.
- Maintains a neat work area and is attentive to waste streams.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Keywords: Wyoming Medical Center, Casper , Lab Assoc III - Laboratory (Part Time/PRN), Healthcare , Casper, Wyoming
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!